Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sweet Vidalia Onion-Phase 2

Okay so I have a confession to make... I use to hate onions! I liked how it flavored food but I don't know there was just something about it that just turned me off, probably a texture thing. Now my mom use to make Vidalia Onions with butter and put it in the microwave and basically this is just a healthier version of her recipe.

Oh yeah, that dislike of onions no longer exist. After just making this for my mom and seeing how much she loved it, I thought I would give it a try. It made an onion lover out of me!!!

3.5oz or about 1/2cup Vidalia Onion: 36 cal.

Whatcha need:
1 large Vidalia Onion (some stores just call them sweet onions, same thing.)
1/3 cup chicken broth (this is a good time to use some of the stock we saved from our chicken recipe)
4 TBSP Garlic Red Wine Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar and 1/8tsp of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Stevia
Salt/Pepper
Microwaveable bowl

The How:
Slice the ends off of your onion. Run your knife from top to bottom just piercing the first layer of outer skin to remove the peel. Slice your onion in half, then each half into thirds. You should have 6  nicely sliced pieces. Place all pieces back together in your microwaveable bowl. Now you want a bowl big enough that the pieces don't fully touch each other but aren't too spread out. Add your chicken broth, vinegar, salt/pepper, and pinch of stevia. Now how long you microwave it for depends on the size of your onion. for an onion that is about a pound go for about 8-10mins. For any size microwave for at least 6mins. You want your onion to look semi-transparent and very tender.

Once you are done serve, I love it with steak. Don't dump the juice that it makes! It's great as a Sweet Vidalia Vinaigrette Dressing for salads!

Now as promised next up, Chicken Wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment