Monday, June 25, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Alla Vodka

Now if you know me, you know I love cooking with alcohol. I know, I know, but it gives such great flavor to foods! This was not the dish that I had intended to spend my weekend experimenting with, actually didn't even get to work on that dish. I only found a few of the ingredients but I will be working on it soon. So yesterday as I was getting ready to go to church I had the tv going and of course it was the Food Network. The Pioneer Woman came on, never seen it, but she was talking about this Penne pasta recipe that she was working on and I thought to myself, "I can easily transform this dish and cut over half the calories down." I also thought that I could spice it up because hers seemed rather bland and you may know that just won't cut it for me. So without further delay, I present to you Spaghetti Squash Alla Vodka, yum :)

Spaghetti Squash
Cooking instructions as follows
http://hcgfoodrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/spaghetti-squash-with-ancho-pepper.html

After cooking let it rest for about 20 mins and begin the making the sauce.

Vodka Sauce
Ingredients:
1 large shallot or small sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
2 pads of butter, divided
Olive Oil
1/3 cup of Vodka*
Half a large can of Tomato Puree
1 Cup plus splash of Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp Sugar Sub
1 tsp Italian Herb blend
1TBSP Ancho Chili Pepper Flakes
1TBSP Fresh Chopped Basil, plus some for plating
1/3 cup Grated Percino Romano or Parm, plus some for topping
Salt/Pepper to taste

*Now if you are not one to add a little booze to your dish you can do the same thing with a low sodium 99% fat free Chicken Stock, it won't be quick the same but it will still be good. My true suggestion is to run down to the local liquor store and grab a 1/2 pint of a cheap vodka :)

Cooking:
In a large sauce pan with one melted pad of butter and olive oil set to medium heat, add your diced onion. Cook until it is transparent, then add your minced garlic. Let that cook for about 2 mins, the name of the game is low and slow, you get the best flavors that way. While this is cooking and you are moving those onions around often, slice your spaghetti squash lengthwise making sure you cut off both ends first and let it cool for a few mins. before attempting to scoop out the guts. It's okay if it gets a little cold, we are going to toss the "noodles" in the sauce later and that will warm them back up.

After you have cooked the garlic and onions down some, add the vodka. I turned down the heat to medium low for this part. You will want to let the vodka reduce down to about half it's size, this will take about 2-4 mins. but keep an eye on it and stir frequently That's when I started to scoop out the guts of my spaghetti squash. *(Now if you are using chicken stock, it will likely take longer for it to reduce and there is no need to reduce to heat.)

Once your vodka has reduced, add half the large can of tomato puree and stir well making sure everything is thoroughly incorporated. Turn up the heat back to medium and add the one cup plus a splash of heavy cream. Now I know what you all are thinking, "that's not healthy"! I never said that it was fat free, I believe that fat is okay in moderation and you can cut back in some areas to give way to others. Also because we don't have a true starch our bodies are able to dispose of the fat a lot quicker.

After adding the cream, add the spices, pepper flakes, sugar sub, 1 pad of butter, salt/pepper** and let cook for about 5 mins, again stirring often. When this is happening begin to scrape down the sides of your spaghetti squash to get your "noodles". After the 5 mins, add the "noodles" and cheese and let cook on low for about another 5 mins. Before the last minute, add the chopped basil, reserving a few pinches for plating.

Top with some more grated cheese and a pinch of basil. It's so good!!!!

**TASTE, TASTE, TASTE! I always taste my sauces while cooking, it's the only way you will know if it is seasoned right. For me that meant about 1 1/2 TSP of Salt and 1 TSP of pepper.

Now if you have to have a meat with this, which to be honest I didn't miss it, you can cook some boneless chicken breast in the oven in chicken broth and slice them up and toss them in.

Well I truly hope you enjoy this dish and don't be afraid to lick the plate, I sure did :) Til next time.

Oh and depending on the size of your spaghetti squash you can get about 4-6 portions out of this and for a cup of this dish, less then 250 calories.

 Next up, Chocolate Brownies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment